Sunday, November 25, 2007

One year down!


As of yesterday (when we were on the road coming home from Thanksgiving at Mimi and Papa Jacques') we have been officially waiting for our little girl from China for ONE YEAR!! It's kind of like a celebration in some ways - one year down, but who knows how long to go?
The past few months have been more of a downer than an up swing. Thoughts of other countries and special needs route have been considered. The quilt squares lay idly in a box, no mention of names and we no longer say "next year when we have Mei-mei". We are trying to accept that it will most likely not be next year, but instead 2009. It was hard to swallow when Alexia's Sunday school teacher told us she had prayed a sweet prayer that her sister would come soon. Still I had a recent reminder of what we are in this for.
The other night Caleb had brought to me the adoption storybook Shaoey and Dot to read. It's a cute little story about a ladybug that happens upon an abandoned little baby in China and vows to never leave her. The ladybug follows the little girl on her journey to her adopted family.
To give a personal background about this book, the first time I read this, I was on vacation and in a bookstore with adoption not in our future anywhere. As I read it, I started bawling. I don't mean a tear or two, I gushed. There is a part where the ladybug friend talks to the little baby girl and explains this as she is about to be adopted into a family
"There's a cry that's the saddest of all.
In fact it's unlike any other.
It comes from a deep, empty place in your heart
That can only be filled by a mother
And after today, I will never again
Hear that sad song coming from you
You're getting adopted, you're getting a mother,
And you're getting a family too!"

As I read this to my children, I was once again crying reminded why we want to adopt. We want to give a little girl a home and a family that loves her. There are too many children in the world without loving arms to hold and comfort them. We can't wait to welcome her into ours!!

8 comments:

Emily said...

I completely agree, I hope someday we have the opportunity to open our home to a child in need of one, too. I just wish governments would be as compassionate and make it a little easier to do so.

Brandi said...

Congrats on 1 year down!

We're getting there!

Anonymous said...

Oh my! That brought tears to my eyes....Hopefully it won't be too much longer before you get your little China Doll...

Enjoyed seeing all of you last week and looking forward to Christmas!

Betty

Unknown said...

One year closer to your girl! May the wait be much shorter than we are expecting. Hoping to see you in December at FF!

Anonymous said...

And SHE will make Alexia AND Caleb big sister and big brother. It is a wonderful gift that goes both ways. =)
She'll make you a "new mom" again as well!
Praying for her and you all...I'm glad you're keeping on keeping on in process and that the Lord refreshed your heart through that book on why this will be worth the wait.
ANd don't forget, another reason you need to adopt her is for cousin Jaci to have someone to share her lovely almond-shaped eyes with. =) Your dd is going to have so many cousins and siblings doting on her!!
Love, AUnt Cherilyn

Anonymous said...

Me again. Your comment about the crying just reminded me of hearing all those precious babies and children crying all at once at the baby house. Many that would have homes, and some that would not. Then there was the little boy that came up and grabbed my legs while we were bonding with Jaci and said, "Mama."
Ok, if you're reading these things and are not in the adoption process and your heart is being prodded, please prayerfully consider!! It's a blessing for both parents and child...
Love, Cherilyn

Angie said...

Happy 1 Year! We are slowly moving along. This is a huge milestone...just one that I hope we don't have too many of! :)
Congrats!

K. said...

let's look at all the time behind us instead of the wait in front. You have one year under your belt! Hooray!