Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Part 4 - On Yonder Mountain Day

This spring Alexia's class read a book together called "On Yonder Mountain" which was set in "old-timey days". Earlier this week they got to have a special day of making butter, applesauce, beef jerky and tasting real maple syrup and homemade bread. They did some fun crafts as well. They even sported some great settler wear for the day. I didn't think of it until last night, but Alexia's outfit was supported by 4 generations. Her great-grandmother, that she never knew, originally sewed the blue dress for my sister when she was in first grade. My mother-in-law figured up and sewed the mob cap (and one for the doll as well). I whipped up an apron for effect and Alexia wore it all well! The main character had a special doll, thus, Alexia's doll went to school as well. Her class was so cute they looked like a bunch of Little House of the Prarie characters!


5 comments:

Emily said...

Oh my goodness I think I would've liked to dress up and play "old times" too! :) If it weren't creepy for a 28 year old stranger to join in!

Anonymous said...

How fun and what good memories for everyone! Love the dress, hat and apron and the fact that it represented 4 generations. Love the doll being dressed up, too.

Aunt Betty

Mimi said...

Looks like she really had fun!

Cher said...

Very cute and meaningful outfit. This looks like my girls playing dress-up most days of the week. THey are very in to the Colonial and Prairie days. They'd all have fun playing dress up together.

We just made butter today, too!
Studying about cows this week.

How fun that the cousins are having similar experiences, even though so far apart.

Love ya'll.

Katy said...

I love these pictures. i thought that I had already commented.. anyway, it's fun to see her in one of my very favorite dresses from childhood (3rd grade) to be precise! Looks like it was fun.