Sunday, April 22, 2007

Happy Earth Day


Now, many of you don't "know" me. Let me just state I am not a granola girl or a tree hugger. However, I have been a little more in tune with Earth Day this year. Maybe because it goes from 80 degrees one day to 25 the next that I am getting on board with this "global warming". Not to get on to that subject, but I do believe that we need to preserve the simplistic beauty of nature that God has given us to enjoy. I have tried to enstill little pieces in my children like picking up litter and cutting down on water usage. I try to minimize my own gas usage like avoiding staff meetings the days I don't work - haha!!
Anyway, this year San Fransisco has done something I think will eventually come around to the rest of the US. The major grocery stores have been banned from giving out plastic bags. I for one always have these kind of bags running out of my ears! I reuse them for diapers and dog poop (okay that's Erik's job). But are they ALL necessary? This reminded me of living in Europe when recyling was mandatory (fine imposed) and you brought your own bags or paid for them per bag.
So, on this Earth Day 2007, I have decided to purchase a start up lot of reusable canvas bags to do my grocery shopping with. The next time you see me at my Publix, it will be with 2 kids, a sippy cup, 2 bags of fruit snacks AND a load of reusable bags - thank you very much. It is a simple change and I still won't be driving a hybrid - but it's a change.

1 comment:

mandt said...

Hey! Glad to see you're doing the bloggy thing! Kudos to you for your part in taking care of our planet.