Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earth Day - How am I doing?

Well, It's Earth Day 2008. Last year in attempt to start blabbing on my new blog, I stated I was going to go green at the grocery store. (Click here for the post.) Well, how have I done in one year's time? Very good I must say. I bought some reusable bags to do my shopping but the first set didn't work out too well. They were huge and the baggers would WAY overload them if I wasn't a drill sergeant. Then my grocery store started selling a perfect sized bag for $ . 99 - I couldn't resist! I use them all the time. My MIL even bought me more and I can do a big trip with them all. The key is to keep them in my car and just run out to the car if I forget them while shopping.



Okay, so my next goal is a big one. So we all know now there is a baby on the way. What clogs landfills? Diapers. I already have a great set of Kushies cotton diapers that I half heartily used on Alexia. Caleb got skipped. So now I will beef up my stock and buy some more liners and give this a good go. We will see how I do in one year's time. But if I fail...we don't use plastic water bottles anymore - maybe that will help!

7 comments:

Mimi said...

You are looking "greener" everyday....hope it isn't the "morning sickness" (HA HA)

Emily said...

haha That other comment is funny. :)

Way to go on the green! I like the grocery bag idea. We had to start that by default here since a lot of times the shops don't have bags at all. I hope I can continue that in the states!

Michelle said...

You are so brave. I do little things to be "green" but the diaper thing I just couldn't do. I even throw away underwear if there was an accident!!! I just can't handle it. But you need to check out this website
http://www.gdiapers.com/
They are actually flushable diapers. They are earth friendly and decompose in a matter of weeks. You can buy them at Harry's for sure and I'm not sure where else...
So exciting about the baby!! Keep us updated!!!

Unknown said...

Wow Michelle! Those are super cool - I'd have to weigh out the price too.

Katy said...

Wow-you go sis! I just told Rob the the other day that although it drove me crazy having to bring my own grocery bags to the store when we moved here, I now realize what a HUGE waste they are. As for the diapers, I'm pretty sure the twins have already filled up a landfill of their own...we go through 19 diapers a day on average if you include Jesiah...wait a second did I change his diaper today? Um yeah...
-Katy

Anonymous said...

Wow. Even going with cotton diapers. You go. Let us know how they work. BTW did you have good luck with no leaks on that brand? and how often did you have to change them? I have a friend looking into reusables, but has had a hard time finding ones that don't leak a little and that she doesn't have to change every 2 hours. You'll have to let us know more on these (or me anyways!).
Not sure I"m quite as brave...we'll see.
Cherilyn

Anonymous said...

That is great! We bought our bags last year, and Brian uses them occasionally, but I guess I don't shop enough to get a habit going. I should bring them in everywhere, not just the grocery store. You have inspired me. I am going to try harder! -