Saturday, May 10, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

A very special Happy Mother's Day to mothers, women longing for the day to be mothers and a tribute to the mothers who have passed.

I attended a sweet little Mothers Day luncheon at Alexia's school the other day. As I got all dressed and ready to go, my sweet Caleb told me that I "look handsome mommy." Once I was there, there were songs and poems and I just loved watching my (normally non-dramatic) little girl sing her heart out. There was another class however that quoted some touching and funny lines that I dug back up. Here are some of my favorites I heard.

A suburban mother's role is to deliver children obstetrically once, and by car forever after. ~Peter De Vries

The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

Sweater, n.: garment worn by child when its mother is feeling chilly. ~Ambrose Bierce

When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child. ~Sophia Loren, Women and Beauty

A man's work is from sun to sun, but a mother's work is never done. ~Author Unknown

A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb

A mother understands what a child does not say - Jewish proverb

And my personal favorite...

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands? ~Milton Berle

I hope all mothers are able to cherish this day and be truly honored for your roles - we ARE loved!!!.

10 comments:

Emily said...

Happy Mother's Day! I see you're out of the first trimester - hope you're feeling well.

Why are your parents leaving for 3 years? Where are they going?

Gail said...

Have a wonderful Mother's Day with your family Christine!

Unknown said...

Have a great day FF friend and since I am just learning this wonderful news, congrats!

Mimi said...

Grandmothers (Mimis, Nanas, etc.) have MAGNIFIED Mother's Days...thanks for making mine more "magnificent"!!! AND enjoy YOUR Mother's Day!!!!

Ashley said...

Those are great quotes! Happy Mother's Day. Hope you have a wonderful day with your family!

Snowflowers Mum said...

Happy Mothers Day! love the quotes!

Angie said...

Happy Mother's Day, Christine! I hope you have had a wonderful day celebrating with your family.
Those are great quotes! Love them!

Stephanie said...

Happy Mother's Day! You are such a good mom and an inspiration to us all! Love ya!

Katy said...

Happy Mother's Day!!! I loved the quotes especially the one about if evolution and only two hands :-)

Angela and Jay said...

Glad that you had a great Mother's Day!!