Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Teaching Patience

Lately we've been having a problem about Caleb "demanding" things NOW. His requests quickly escalate into whines then cries if they are not met within a very quick time frame. This is especially not good timing as very soon he will be having to wait longer for his demands because the new baby. I have enforced to him for some time now that "mommy can only do one thing at a time".

I think he finally "got" that concept this morning at breakfast. I was fixing breakfast for the three of us meantime putting Alexia's lunch together. He requested his vitamin once, to which I replied it would come in a minute. When I delivered his plate with no vitamin on it, he became upset to which I reminded him - I can only do one thing at a time. He quickly replied "can you get my vitamin FIRST?" Oh well, he's getting there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Smiling here.
The joys of mommyhood.
It IS cute how he responded. That's the hard part when they are cute and we're trying to teach them a lesson.

By the way, we've been in the Midwest too long. Lainey just asked if that is a picture of Caleb and Alexia in the snow to the right of your blog. She's seen lots of snow up here, but I'm not remembering us every taking her to a beach.

I guess we need to make an effort to get to one. Poor, deprived, landlocked from the sea children (and missing-the-beach parents!!).

Love, (Aunt) Cherilyn

Shelley Howerton said...

what is the next letter...was the baby due yesterday? We need an update.. hope all is well.. maybe you are in labor right now??

Valarie said...

My kids are 7, 4, and 6 months. None of them have completely grasped the concept. My 7 year old has moments where he thinks of me. My four year old has no concept. I have hope, knowing that it will be grasped one day. The same with your boy.

Love reading your blog. It will take me a bit to catch up.