Tuesday, June 5, 2007

California




We're back. It was all nice and good. San Francisco was quite a bit chillier than I expected. We had a spectacular view from our hotel which we could see the entire bay area (when lack of fog allowed). We did the "hanging off the edge of the trolly" ride which was not by choice but lack of room on a seat. They were like a New York cabbie - They don't put up with anyone getting in their way. We did all the common tourist sites as you can see from our pics. Chinatown was great! Our favorite was a itty bitty store front that made fortune cookies. If you give them a few bucks for taking their picture they load you up with hot-off-the-pan cookies. I have never roamed around a place "snacking" on fortune cookies! We also had an enjoyable lunch with Erik's uncle Jeff and aunt Marlene who drove up from Carmel to see us since we copped out on making the trip to see their gorgeous hometown.
We stopped at a redwood forest on our way out the city to Napa. I just have two words BI-IG! Since we took that little detour we got a taste of rush hour out of San Fran. I can't say it was a whole lot worse than some of the highways here - but it wasn't fun.
Then Napa...hummm... to sum it up it was vineyard, vineyard, vineyard a winery, vineyard, vineyard. It was very reminiscent of southern France which I love and didn't expect. Lots of lavender, olive trees (equals lots of specialty olive oil -yum!) and the beautiful terrain of the rugged mountains and the valleys. One particular winery that was my favorite was filled with gardens and buzzing bees and birds including hummingbirds that we don't get a lot of here in GA. I could have sat there all day soaking it in. The fresh produce there was awesome. I wish my California strawberries I get at the grocery store tasted like those!!
I was ready to get back and see my kids though. We had a fun little day rebonding as I try to pry Caleb off my leg. I got called "mimi" a few times with a quick "mommy" afterwards - they were in good hands and I know they had fun too. Thanks Mimi and Papa Jacques for the babysitting!

4 comments:

Snowflowers Mum said...

oooh, you are so lucky! We went 8 years ago, I loved St Helena, the restaurants, the wine, the food...so reminiscent of New Zealand! San Fransisco was also a lot of fun. Makes me want to go back!

mandt said...

Great pictures. Looks like you guys had a great time. I love the redwoods! They make you feel so small.

Alana said...

Fun Trip! Great pictures WELCOME HOME!

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun! In one of those photos you look SO much like your sister (Chrissy)!!

Love, Cher