Sunday, March 2, 2008

My Strength

Tonight I had a few "Sound of Music" moments. I think mostly girls read my blog, so most of you should know what I will be referring to. Earlier this evening I was (knowingly selfishly) sobbing to my best friend on the phone "How am I going to get through this?" I have a daunting task at hand. Tomorrow I must tell my daughter that her grandfather (our Papa Jacques) has passed away. My husband had just left to be with his mother (out of state) and I was left to grieve alone and take care of my children (one still sick) and try not to think about the 9 hour drive I will be taking with my kids without my husband.

The verses Psalm 121:1,2 came to my mind. I will lift up mine eyes to the hills- from where comes my help? My help comes from the Lord who made heaven and earth. (remember Maria in the convent quoting that verse?)
I know God gives me the strength to "get through" things. He always has and always will. It's hard to see how until it's behind you. His bigger task is getting my sweet mother in law through the death of her husband.

My other Sound of Music moment came at the kids bedtime. I was nervous what my daughter would ask me or pray about for our Papa Jacques. I am waiting until after school tomorrow to tell her. She did ask why Papa J would have to die and I had to explain that he was in so much pain, it would be better for him to be in heaven. I knew she was getting sad and it might affect her going to sleep so we all piled on her bed with the light out and I sang them a few songs including "My Favorite Things" Well, this is one of their favorite songs to have sung to them and it was quite funny when little Caleb broke out singing it too! His two year old voice singing "when the dog bites, when the bees sting..." I was so happy when Alexia let go of her sadness and was filled with laughter. I knew that was one way God was taking care of things one by one. I will let you know the rest.

Meanwhile, I would like to mention that Papa Jacques had a peaceful death with friends surrounding him singing to him. We are sad that we could not enjoy him longer than we did, but we are happy to know that he is in a better place and we will see him again. We love you "Car Show Boy!"

7 comments:

Unknown said...

So sorry about your loss. What a sweet post.

Michelle said...

Oh, Chrsitine, I am so sorry and I will pray for you and your family. Love to you all...

Gail said...

Christine, I'm so very sorry for your loss. What an eloquent post, please take care...you and your family are in my prayers at this time.

Gail

Laura said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Papa Jacques. I just love that he "had a peaceful death with friends surrounding him singing to him". How sweet and wonderful.

Angela and Jay said...

So very sorry for your loss. Praying for you and your family.

Angie said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. I will pray that you all have the peace and strength that you need.

Laura Kirkland said...

OMG Christine! I can't believe how much I have learned about you from reading a few snippits of your blog. I mean, for some reason I am always drawn to you... and now after reading your blog I see that...
YOU are an amazing person! I mean, I had no idea about all these neat little details. Wow. We have to talk some time. I have always had two dreams in the bottom of my heart that not many people know about.... #1 adopting from China.. #2 maybe becoming an RN... so... I will probably attack you tomorrow at church.! Here's to getting to know you better, girl, you rock!