Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Knee Update

Well, I didn't feel much like a nurse today. We get to the office and the PA explains that thankfully Alexia's fracture was vertical not horizontal therefore we don't need surgery and screws - WHAT??? We need a full leg cast. I wheled up in tears - how can my totally active little girl be in a cast her final days of summer? I guess I was so stunned b/c her knee never looked bad. No swelling or bruising and not a LOT of pain.
Well, option #2 was a no brainer. It was a removable splint that might take a little bit longer -about 4 weeks. Then the rules came - no jump rope, no bike, no scooter, no playground, no karate, no gymnastics, no swimming - well at least we can go IN the pool with another splint, just no jumping or actual swimming because she can't bend her leg. So what CAN we do I wonder. This is going to be a long 4 weeks.
When we got in the car, me and Alexia both let out our tears. I knew it would be a tough few weeks for her and she was already complaining how heavy and itchy the immobilizer was. With Caleb at my mom's we settled ourselves with some Chick-fil-A and a milkshake. But we were in "that mall" again - you know, the one with the American Girl store. Enter in - Moment of Weakness.
She didn't even want to go into the store because she said she would want a doll too bad (that's quite the self control). But I convinced her she had to chose ONE doll that she would want IF she was going to get one for her birthday. So we went and browsed. She finally settled on one - Nellie. Her face was brilliant when I informed her it was now her early b-day present from her grandparents. She forgot her leg irritation (for a while) and floated out the store carrying her beautiful new doll.
We let her sulk out her sorrows tonight, but, tomorrow is a new day. No more pity party!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so sorry about this. What a great attitude!!

Hoping this next month goes by quickly

Unknown said...

Oh,poor thing. I can understand your "moment of weakness".

Anonymous said...

Aunt Betty says....Nellie is beautiful....she looks like you, Alexia, except for the color of her hair....and speaking of hair, I can't believe how long your hair is! Your splint is a pretty color...time will go by quickly and you'll get used to it...it is certainly better than a REAL cast! Maybe you will have some extra time to enjoy some reading and probably get to watch a few movies during your recuperation period. You can take trips with books, and learn interesting things about animals, bugs, etc.

Have fun with Nellie!

Love,
Aunt Betty

Anonymous said...

Alexia...no more breaking bones for presents. I'm just teasing you. I'm so sorry you hurt your knee, but we're praying that you heal up in no time...and that you will be surprised by the fun you can still have!!
Looks like you and Nellie are in for lots of adventures.
Have fun with her. She's very pretty just like you. (ok, so you're prettier).
Love, Aunt Cherilyn

Angela and Jay said...

That's got to be hard. I'm glad her new doll was able to bring a smile to her face. Praying she recovers quickly. :-)

mandt said...

Ouch! Hope the 4 weeks pass quickly for you guys!

Mimi said...

I have learned that you cannot be "the nurse", when you are the "mom"!!! We feel their pain WAY too much!!! That is one of the reasons God made tears, so we could release the "Pressure Valve"!
Enjoy "Nellie", Alexia!

Shelley Howerton said...

Oh NO.... You handled it just as I would. I teared up reading about Alexia and her new doll. How precious. I hope she heals quickly and painlessly!!

Laura

K. said...

Oh, no! I hope she has a speedy recovery and that her new little friend will help take her mind off it all.

xo